The Book Club meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm at the Library. (Come earlier for the 5:30-7pm Friends of the Library board meeting and refreshments.) This month we're reading Anne Tyler's Digging to America. Come join us on April 13. All welcome.
“The author’s 17th novel exemplifies her skill at depicting seemingly quiet and unremarkable lives with sympathy and humor . . . A touching, well-crafted tale of friendship, families, and what it means to be an American.” -- Library Journal
Anne Tyler’s richest, most deeply searching novel–a story about what it is to be an American, and about Iranian-born Maryam Yazdan, who, after 35 years in this country, must finally come to terms with her “outsiderness.” Two families, who would otherwise never have come together, meet by chance at the Baltimore airport – the Donaldsons, a very American couple, and the Yazdans, Maryam’s fully assimilated son and his attractive Iranian wife. Each couple is awaiting the arrival of an adopted infant daughter from Korea. ...
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Our Friends group will be active this spring on a number of fronts:
- Preparing for the big Future Begins Here (FBH) event at the Holyoke Mall on Sunday May 1st.
- Considering naming option for Friends-sponsored space in remodeled library.
- Recruiting new board members (for election at May meeting).
- Updating our organization's bylaws to reflect current practice.
- Planning future events and fundraisers.
All welcome to come to our monthly meetings: Wed March 9, 5:30pm and Wed April 13, 5:30pm, at the Library. Hope to see you soon!